Extra Extra Read All About It! Otto Is Officially a Cross Dresser!

Thats right the headlines are correct (not that there is anything wrong with that) Otto is now sporting an operational “Clutch“.  Get it?…Clutch… like “Purse“… Oh well… after I submitted the last…er… previous post I got two little pieces of hardware in the mail from Auto Atlanta and they were the only things standing between Otto and me being able to hook up Otto’s clutch. OK so maybe I’m vying for a position with The National Inquirer, at least I won’t sell my talents to  (“Fox so called news”…mjb), I would rather read accounting text books then write for Fox (“so called news”) However I am torn because I have for many years enjoyed THE SIMPSONS, I would if given the opportunity, write for that show. No I am going to be a part of a movement to better the word of reporters and better the world of having to depend on Dirty, Industrialist, Fossils.

Keep On Pluggin

The Motor and Transaxle are in!!

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA IMG910 IMG912

Things are moving rather quickly at Keep On Pluggin. Today I bolted in the motor and transaxle assembly into the car and hooked up the shift linkage and clutch bracket. I also bolted the rear bumper and valance to the car. I am toying with the idea of trailering the car over to Daves house and putting it up on his lift. You who are very astute, have undoubtedly noticed that the motor is resting on what appears to be two 2X4’s on top of a cross member. You are absolutely correct! I still have to fabricate a motor mount and of course the Batt boxes. I think I could get it done a little faster if I can elevate the car and work from under it. For now though I can still work on it and do the best I can to make it functional. Hope your weekend has been as productive as mine… until next time

Keep On Pluggin

Spare Part? or Uh-Oh?

IMG891 IMG892 IMG893

In my last post I demonstrated how simply a motor and transaxle can be assembled and, how if one took their time and did it the right way the results will be rewarding. This post describes what happens when the careful planning and attention minded craftsman misses one little detail he noticed in a box of stuff that he was going through to find a bolt to mount the said motor and transaxle assembly into the car. When I found this said Item I knew immediatly by the shape that there is only one place on the entire car where it would fit and that place was in the middle of two really heavy components bolted together under the car in place for installation. The item is a metal gasket which protects the flywheel when the flywheel bolts are carefully torqued to 80ft/lbs. This gave me the opportunity to disassemble the clutch assembly and do a quality control check on pressure plate and clutch assembly as well as check the torque of the flywheel bolts again. At least I discovered it BEFORE I installed the motor transaxle assembly into the vehicle.

Keep On Pluggin

The Mating Season

DSCF1530 DSCF1531 DSCF1532 DSCF1535 DSCF1536

Yesterday my transaxle found its way back home from Rancho Performance in Fullerton CA. It hitched a ride on freight truck heading North. So this morning my brother in law Tom and I revisited the flywheel/clutch assembly and checked the torque on all of the bolts. It’s a good thing we did too, the flywheel bolts were finger tight!  I knew this because I just set it up for storage until the transaxle was completed. We torqued all of the flywheel bolts down to 80ft/lbs and reassembled the clutch and pressure plate and then we were ready to mate the AC50 motor to the transaxle using Sebastian’s amazing billeted aluminum adapter. This adapter fits a few different types of motors and is stamped TOP on the back of the adapter. We lined up the motor assembly and transaxle, making sure the TOP stamp was at the top and put the threaded studs into the adapter… but… they did not line up. I knew this adapter worked because when I recieved it I checked it against the bell housing… at least I thought I did. I procured a tape measure and measured the distance between the studs. Quickly we surmised TOP actually meant RIGHT SIDE for this particular configuration. All we had to do was twist the motor 90 degrees and viola’ she lined up and almost mated right in front of us. We did have to coax her a bit but the out come is one very attractive drive assembly ready for installation.

Keep On Pluggin

 

Wipers Work and Fun with Floorboards

I got the wipers to come on today (it was a relay) but now they work. The big project today was, R& R of the clutch cable.

In order to get to the clutch cable I had to first remove the floorboard which I am proud to say I was able to do (I love puzzles and how they got this design is nothing short of a masterpiece which would make a chinese box maker envious. Here you see the floorboard , what I found under it and the clevis, clevis pin and locking mechanism Last is the way I was able to stand up and work after being scrunched up in the passenger compartment. I sure am glad I am into yoga, it was very useful today.