Did I Say Engineering?

IMG_0218 IMG_0219 IMG_0238 IMG_0239 IMG_0240 IMG_0241 IMG_0242 IMG_0243 IMG_0248 IMG_0249 IMG_0250

Wow! That is what I have to say about the last two weeks events. First the front battery box was too short by 1/4″. Here is the lesson. Never go by the specs. Always measure. I even added 1/4″ for play when I designed the box. each battery was between 1/32″ and 1/16″ off so that by the time I added 11 batteries I was 1/2 inch off in my calculation. Since I designed it to be 1/4″ longer I was only off by 1/4″. The box is being made as I write this and should be done this next week. In the meantime I have done the following. Secured and anchored the mid eng battery boxes, connected the driveline, connected the shift linkage (final) connected the cooling system to the chill plate and bolted the controller and chill plate assembly onto the motor bracket, procured and bolted on the rear deck lid latch, bolted on the engine cover, and funnel downspouts for drainage. On Friday Solar City installed my 4.5KW solar system.  I am just about to the the point where I am only hooking up wires and testing. This is the point where one gets anxious to finish and the possibility of short cuts starts to take place. From my experience with EV1E I have decided to NOT let that happen. This car needs to be done right all the way through. This car is going to be a representation of what one can do in their own garage with just a few tools and a passion for making the world better. It must be right for people to embrace the idea.So here are a few pics, enjoy

Mark

Keep On Pluggin

Lots of Work, So Little Time…

I have been working at my regular job for many days in a row. One of our nurses has been unable to come in and I have been filling in. Stuff has been getting done on the car, though painfully slow. I will be sending my transaxle to Fullerton CA next week for an inspection and possibly rebuild (the things only got 22000 mi on it) Fidel has come through and painted the rear hatch and the headlight covers, he had some issues with wind and plastic so he had to do the covers over again but man do they look great. I may be moving my shop to the foothills very soon so I am trying to get as much done before I move as I can. Many life changing things have been happening recently (all good things) so I am also still recovering from reeling. I have been offered a new job teaching at the college (or at least the prospect of a new job) I have made an offer on a house up in the foothills of the high sierras. BIG shop area. So while I am waiting to see what happens I decided to clean the so called “Hell Hole”. Its not so bad really once you get the ICE out of it. The lead acid battery reeks havoc on the passenger side right behind the firewall I am toying with the idea of mounting the chill radiator there… we’ll see. First I have to clean it, mount the motor and transmission and build battery boxes… then I can see how much room there is left to mount things. Still haven’t figured out horn problem… It just quit. I can hear the relay click but no horn. The horn itself works fine when shorted across a battery.. I will figure this out. The fog lights quit at the same time. Oh and one more thing… I found out from the Porsche Shop Manual the the directional light indicator in the dash blinks the way it is supposed to, both sides at the same time. This was a change made beginning 1973 as Forrest Gump’s momma would say “one less thing”.

Keep On Pluggin