I was trying to come up with a method of connecting the front battery box with the rear ones using the existing structure somehow. It occured to me that the air injection ran from the front to the back of the vehicle through the chassis below the drivers side door. Now how do I use this system? A new challenge, It became very clear, very quickly that the 1/0 welding cables I am using to connect the front pack with the rear packs is bigger then the air injection tubing. Not knowing what the inside of the chassis looked like I threaded a long piece of bailing wire through the tubes and pulled a nylon cord through. then I carefully pulled out the tubing, leaving the cord intact. There were rubber gromets at the opening in the left front fender well which I carefully removed. Not careful enough to keep from ruining them however. It was at this point I realized I was not going to be able to do this by myself, so I recruited my brother in law Tom to assist me. This is the point were the story starts getting somewhat comical. You see all we had to do was tie the cord onto the cable and pull it through the chassis right? In a perfect world that would have been the case, however we are talking about a project and as we all know a project is nothing more then a generic name for a long series of projects. This was no exception. we could not get the thing to thread past one foot before it came against an obstacle. We tried everything we could think of and finally out of desperation I decided to take the lower rocker panel off of the car. I had been avoiding this because the rocker panels are riveted at the factory and I have been trying to avoid any major changes to the body. Remember I still have not drilled one hole in this car. I did manage to take out all 5 screws and pull the rocker panel out enough to see what I was up against. (see photo) there were three more bulkheads each with there own set of rubber grommets. All of that business with the nylon cord turned out to be an exercise in project creation. I got out the WD40 and started lubing rubber grommets. after that with the help of Tom we were able to feed the cables through using the existing structure and as you can see I have the perfect out of the weather route for connecting the front to the rear. Tomorrow I am told I will be picking up my Battery boxes… Oh yes and in case you were wondering… I did not have to completely remove the rocker panel so the factory rivets are still intact.
Keep On Pluggin
Check out the new front end! Gonna take some getting used to. Fidel got the last details done on it and sprayed it at Cars Etc away from this car and matched it perfectly. Just a few minor adjustments and the front body panels will be complete. I traded out the fog light element for LEDs and they work! They fit in the old fog light fixtures like they were made for them. The transaxle is at Rancho Performance and in the capable hands of Shan. Shan tells me it will be ready to ship on Friday. That means that next week the fun begins. You see up this point all of the things I have doing to the car are things that would be done to any restoration prject…but next week I begin my adventure in conversion land. I will be installing the electromagnetic drive train, packaging and wiring components, designing and fabricating battery boxes, and testing all systems… You know… the fun stuff!
Keep On Pluggin
I have been working at my regular job for many days in a row. One of our nurses has been unable to come in and I have been filling in. Stuff has been getting done on the car, though painfully slow. I will be sending my transaxle to Fullerton CA next week for an inspection and possibly rebuild (the things only got 22000 mi on it) Fidel has come through and painted the rear hatch and the headlight covers, he had some issues with wind and plastic so he had to do the covers over again but man do they look great. I may be moving my shop to the foothills very soon so I am trying to get as much done before I move as I can. Many life changing things have been happening recently (all good things) so I am also still recovering from reeling. I have been offered a new job teaching at the college (or at least the prospect of a new job) I have made an offer on a house up in the foothills of the high sierras. BIG shop area. So while I am waiting to see what happens I decided to clean the so called “Hell Hole”. Its not so bad really once you get the ICE out of it. The lead acid battery reeks havoc on the passenger side right behind the firewall I am toying with the idea of mounting the chill radiator there… we’ll see. First I have to clean it, mount the motor and transmission and build battery boxes… then I can see how much room there is left to mount things. Still haven’t figured out horn problem… It just quit. I can hear the relay click but no horn. The horn itself works fine when shorted across a battery.. I will figure this out. The fog lights quit at the same time. Oh and one more thing… I found out from the Porsche Shop Manual the the directional light indicator in the dash blinks the way it is supposed to, both sides at the same time. This was a change made beginning 1973 as Forrest Gump’s momma would say “one less thing”.
Keep On Pluggin
Here is the latest pics of the front end. Fidel came over to my house and we drank beer and did body work… We were both amazed at the way the front bumper is fitting so well.
Jack at EVTV emailed me and told me they were sending the motor “straight away” but the controller has to go to HPEVS for the reprogramming. This wont be a problem as I have plenty to do once the motor is installed. Another setback is the adapter got delayed due to a funeral… been there done that I completely understand. I wont need it until I get the motor anyway which I anticipate will be this week. Until then, this is Mark signing off… Keep On Pluggin