Today started out with a plan (as most days do) Go to Napa get some paint, go the grocery store get some milk etc… I started out thinking I would paint the dash panel today and that would be the end of it. Well as John Steinbeck said The best laid schemes of mice and men / Often go awry” and that is precisley what happened to this man. I did get the paint and I did paint the dash panel. I then decided to see if it would fit… it did. So far so good but, now the launch sequence had been activated and I new what I had to do. Knowing I had taken many photos of the wiring and that everything works I decided to put it all back together. I started by disconnecting every gauge so I could fish the harnesses to the proper locations. then I remembered the windshield washer hoses were pulled off waaay back when and were rotton and needed to be replaced. So back to Napa I go. Once back home I needed to install the hoses and feed them through the firewall. I reached around the column but could not locate the little connectors which protrude from the back of the column. That is when I decided to take the column off and make it easier on myself. This is were “oft go awry” comes in. When I pulled the steering column the spline steering shaft which connects the steering coumn to the front wheels, fell onto the floorboard. CLUNK I examined the situation and saw that the shaft was not even bolted in… on either end. Good thing I pulled it. The hoses went on fine and by poking a screwdriver through the gromet from the other side and slipping the rubber tubing onto the the blade (from the inside) I was able to pull the tubing through the grommet and the rest was easy. I started with the speedometer and worked my way toward the fuel gauge. it went back together surprisingly easily and I felt confident it would work. It does.